As we begin 2013, I find it the right time to begin to more consciously make an effort to eliminate bad habits and add new, productive habits into my life. I’ve spent the last year learning about Catholicism (barely scratching the surface!) but at least I’m informed enough now to have an idea of what changes I need to make to better my life.
So I thought I’d share with you, in the hopes you’ll share with me, my 2013 religious resolutions! In yesterday’s blog post, I talked about ways I will try to stick to these habits and how the structure of the church helps me in creating a routine that will become a part of my daily life. I plan to work on these resolutions slowly, focusing on one at a time until I feel like I’ve got that one adopted fairly well. Here we go…
My 2013 Religious Resolutions:
- Pray the Rosary weekly. Also, pray a decade of the Rosary with my children weekly dedicated to someone in need or their recently deceased grandmother as a way to remember and honor her.
- Spend an hour of adoration weekly in the Blessed Sacrament chapel or at Eucharistic Adoration when available.
- Read the Bible daily and begin to explore Lectio Divino (a conscious reflecting of Biblical texts)
- Blog at least 5 times per week on my Catholic Newbie blog.
- Begin to work Christian meditation/contemplation into my routine (not sure how much yet)
- Keep my body healthy by practicing moderation (not over indulging) in eating and by exercising my body 2-3 times weekly.
- Once I am able (when I become fully Catholic), attend Reconciliation monthly.
- Begin introducing my oldest son (8) to Adoration time.
- Donate the amount we would spend on eating out for one meal monthly to our family’s choice of charity and have PB&J that night instead :).
- Volunteer at a local charity one day per month.
- Increase my tithing and donate more of my money to charitable organizations.
- Engage my children in more charitable and volunteer activities.
- Attend Mass weekly (I pretty much have this one down already :))
- Be courageous in following God’s will.
- Pray at least 2 Liturgy of the Hours daily.
- Continue reading daily the Read the Catechism in a Year email.
- Take one silent retreat this year.
- Remember to see Christ in every one.
- Get up earlier!
OK, so that’s a long list! Yikes! But these are all things I really want to work on. I think the key is to focus on one at a time so as not to get overwhelmed and do the best I can.
What are your Religious Resolutions for the New Year? Please share them and help hold me accountable to these!