Spiritual Warfare: 12 Ways to Protect Yourself Against Evil
There was a period where I felt strongly that my family — especially my youngest son and I — were experiencing spiritual warfare. Essentially, this means we felt attacked by evil with sudden, unexplained phenomena with evil components entering our lives.
As a new Catholic, I knew some basics like praying to St. Michael, spraying the house with holy water and blessing my child with the sign of the cross, but I was unsure what else to do besides ask my friends for prayers. When I made that ask, my friends responded so generously in all their wisdom of Catholicism with some amazing tips. And they are tips EVERYONE needs to know.
12 Ways to Protect Yourself Against Spiritual Warfare
Here are some steps you can take to protect your family from evil spirits if you are feeling spiritually attacked courtesy of my wonderful Catholic friends:
- St. Michael Prayer and Chaplet – In addition to praying the St. Michael prayer (which I have learned by heart 🙂 and pray with my middle school son nightly), there is also a St. Michael chaplet that you can pray with a special set of beads or on the free Laudate app for smartphones (just touch the “virtual” beads with your fingers as you pray). You can also ask a priest to pray the St. Michael prayer over you or your family.
- Guardian Angels – For parents who feel their children are undergoing spiritual warfare, you can ask your guardian angel to work with their guardian angel to protect them.
- Fasting – Fasting combined with prayer, as said in the Bible and by many saints, is one of the most effective ways to ensure your prayers are heard — and hopefully answered. I know this has worked miracles for me in the past.
- Blessed Salt – Have a priest, deacon or exorcist bless a container of salt. In addition to cooking with it, sprinkle it around your house as a shield.
- Bless Your Home – Have a priest bless your home at least yearly.
- Crucifix – Have a crucifix in every room of your home, especially your children’s rooms and by the front door.
- Rosary – Pray it daily, as a family — even a decade — if you can!
- Blessings – Bless your children with the sign of the cross with holy water (you can get it at the baptismal font in your church) before bed and before they leave the house.
- Backpacks – For kids, place a blessed rosary and Miraculous Medal in their backpack, so it will always be close to them. You can also use a St. Benedict medal with an exorcism blessing.
- Adoration – Spend time in adoration or in front of the Blessed Sacrament.
- Miraculous Medal – Place a Miraculous Medal underneath the mattress of every person in your house. As soon as I placed the Medal under the mattress of my son’s bed, the problems STOPPED. It was amazing!
- Prayer – Suggested Prayers
- “Heavenly Father, if there are demons prowling around looking for the souls of my family, I ask in the name of your son, Jesus Christ, that you cast them out and protect us from the evil one. Amen.”
- Ask the blood of Jesus to cover the person and protect them. It was the blood that Christ shed that washed away evil.
- With the cross of Jesus I come against and I pull down all demonic strongholds in PERSON’S NAME’s mind and body in the name of the father and the son and the Holy Spirit.
With the cross of Jesus I come against and I break all demonic strongholds in PERSON’S NAME’s mind and body in the name of the father and the son and the Holy Spirit.
With the cross of Jesus I come against and I demolish all demonic strongholds in PERSON’S NAME’s mind and body in the name of the father and the son and the Holy Spirit.
I seal PERSON’S NAME’s mind and body with the blood of Jesus and reclaim all of its territories for Christ in the name of the father and the son and the Holy Spirit
I asked The blessed Virgin Mary to bind and cast out all demonic influences from PERSON’S NAME bringing them to the foot of the cross of her son Jesus where they are defeated forever never to return. AMEN
Have you ever felt spiritual warfare or attacks of evil? How did you protect yourself and your family? I would love to hear more suggestions!
- 10 Things I Wish All Non-Catholic Christians Knew About Catholicism
- What Catholics Need to Know About Pornography
- My favorite Catholic Resources & Catholic Books
- Why did I convert to Catholicism? Read my Conversion Story
- Catholic Newbie’s Most Popular Posts
- How to Start a Conversation about Catholicism Anywhere
- 13 Things to Do After RCIA to Keep Your Faith on Fire
- 11 Ways to Work the Rosary into Your Busy Day
- The 1 Thing I Wish All RCIA Candidates Knew About Confession
- My First Reconciliation/Confession Experience